Vacancy – Senior Developer
- Role: Senior Developer (x2 positions available)
- Salary: £35 – £45k (depending on experience)
- Job type: Permanent full-time
- Location: Based in Birmingham or London (and happy to discuss flexible working)
Substrakt makes websites and digital products for organisations in the arts, cultural and heritage sectors in Europe and North America. We also provide consultancy and training services.
We specialise in considered, user-centred design. We create beautiful work, delivering effective, creative and engaging user experiences.
We aim to foster a conscientious, supportive and collaborative working environment. We don’t believe in unnecessary hierarchies and distractions, our focus is on enabling the delivery of the best quality work possible.
As well as sending staff to conferences and industry events, everyone has a professional development allowance and we regularly run internal knowledge-sharing sessions. We value our staff and want to support their ambitions and development.
You will be joining a skilled, committed and friendly team of 20. Split across offices in London, Birmingham and Chicago we work with some of the most exciting and interesting cultural organisations in the world including Shakespeare’s Globe, Royal Court Theatre, English National Opera, Bridge Theatre and American Repertory Theater amongst many others.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be tasked with building primarily WordPress-backed websites. Integrating these websites with third party APIs, and ensuring they are as performant as possible. These APIs are typically for ticketing systems (such as Tessitura, Spektrix, SeatGeek and Audience View), but you’ll regularly be tasked with integrating collections management systems (e.g. Vernon), and e-commerce platforms (Shopify, Magento).
We have developed a number of internal products that are core to most projects we work on. You’ll be using those to ensure clients can manage both their content, and their events. You’ll also be helping to develop these existing products and new libraries/products as required. We encourage developers to take ownership of any new products they develop, so you’ll be the core maintainer for any you create.
How you’ll be doing it
You’ll manage your WordPress install and plugins with Composer, a PHP dependency manager. Code is written inside of a child theme, committed using Git, and submitted for a code review in Slack.
You’ll use a feature and release branch system, and release work to clients regularly through a staging site. Deploying features/releases to Heroku using Git.
A day in the office
After providing a general update to the team on what you tackled the previous day, and what you’re tackling today, you’ll be focused on project delivery.
Code reviews will be requested by other team members; you’ll be happy to provide support, and constructive criticism where appropriate. As well as help out where necessary on how best to tackle certain coding challenges.
We try to keep meetings to a minimum, but on any given day you may be asked to attend a meeting for either scoping and project planning, or client support.
Who will you be working with
You’ll be joining a passionate, committed and knowledgeable team of developers and UX designers. We’re actively involved in the community and always looking to open source aspects of our work. We are self-improvers and encourage curiosity and personal development.
Skills and technologies
- Able to deliver all types of story and requirement autonomously
- Able to triage autonomously
- Able to specify solutions for medium to large stories and requirements
- Always looking for the simplest, lowest risk solution. Have a tendency to buy rather than build.
- Can provide significant input into architectural and long term planning
- May require occasional mentoring on the specification of larger stories and requirements, but should be able to suggest a solid starting point and also options when things become unexpected
- Can mentor other developers successfully.
- Estimation skill is good for most stories and requirements.
- PHP, Object-Orientated
- Test Driven Development using PHPUnit
- Git, we use GitLab
- MySQL, Aurora, and Redis
- Heroku hosts the vast majority of our sites. We also make us of Linode, and Digital Ocean
- Amazon Web Services
- RDS (Relational Database Services)
- S3 Object storage
- Cloudfront CDN
- REST and SOAP. We regularly integrate with third party ticketing APIs, for platforms such as Tessitura (tessituranetwork.com), Spektrix (spektrix.com), Audience View (audienceview.com), collections management systems such as Vernon (vernonsystems.com) and e-commerce platforms such as Shopify (shopify.co.uk).
- Mac proficient
Please contact Ash, our Strategic Director (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please send details of your experience, a link to your blog/portfolio or a link to some code that you’re proud of. You can send us a link for a public repo, or contact us and we can organise looking at a private repo. We promise we won’t share.
If you’re unable to show us an example of your code, we’ll set you a small technical task to test your coding prowess.
Substrakt is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
Please just drop us a line if you have any questions or wish to discuss the role.