Vacancy: Marketing & Communications Manager
Salary: £35,000 – £40,000 (depending on skills and experience) + benefits
Location: Flexible. Ideally you will be able to spend some time (at least a day) each week in our Birmingham or London office (although currently we are 100% remote which is likely to remain the case until at least January/February next year).
Working hours: Monday to Friday, (we’re happy to discuss flexible working hours)
Reporting to: Managing Director
Deadline for applications: 29th November.
We expect that interviews will be held remotely via Zoom in w/c 30th November
We are looking for an experienced, creative and proactive Marketing & Communications Manager to join our team.
This new role will be focused on telling the story, and raising the profile, of Substrakt’s work and the successes of our clients.
This is a new role and presents a unique opportunity to join the Substrakt team at an exciting moment of growth.
You’ll be responsible for initiating, developing and leading on our marketing and communications thinking and activity across everything we do. Ensuring that we talk about our work in a compelling, consistent and engaging way.
Why Join Substrakt?
At Substrakt we believe that arts and culture enriches lives and brings society together. We want to ensure that amazing cultural experiences can be enjoyed as widely as possible by harnessing the power of digital technology.
Substrakt creates websites and web applications for cultural organisations. The types of organisations we work with include theatres, performing arts centres, music venues, museums, galleries, and performance groups in Europe and North America.
We work with some of the most exciting and interesting cultural organisations in the world including Shakespeare’s Globe, Santa Fe Opera, Royal Court Theatre, Bridge Theatre, and Royal Academy of Arts amongst many others. Read more about the work we do, and the people we work with.
We also provide consultancy services and training on analytics, digital strategy, ticketing, project management and digital community events.
By supporting organizations with their digital needs, we enable them to reach new and wider audiences so that arts and culture can be accessed and enjoyed by everyone.
Working closely with the Head of Strategy and Managing Director you will be responsible for:
- Leading on strategy, activity and assets to promote and support specific workstreams
- Designing and delivering campaigns to promote our products and services
- Delivering content and activity showcasing our work and client successes
- Producing content to showcase the company and the people who work here
- Developing content and events to position Substrakt as an expert in the field
- Producing content to support and extend the work carried out in our Digital Works programme
- Track, measure, analyse and report on our comms and marketing activity to help us understand what does and doesn’t work and to guide future thinking and activity
Some of the following knowledge and experience would also be helpful…
- An understanding of web technologies and the digital space
- Comfortable and familiar with the media landscape in the tech/digital, design and cultural sectors – preferably with up-to-date contacts
- Developing marketing and communications strategies
- Developing and delivering content marketing activities
- Working closely with creative professionals to commission and brief work to support your marketing/comms plans
- Product marketing – particularly around delivering campaigns bringing new products to market
- Operating in multiple territories and the benefits/challenges of a global market
- An understanding of user research to inform insights about user behaviour and inform user experiences
- Have worked in a busy agency environment or equivalent, and are comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously
This role will benefit from someone with the following skills…
- Identifying and articulating stories/narrative and pitching them appropriately to the relevant audience
- Comfortable holding responsibility for both strategy and delivery
- Comfortable using data and research to generate insights to inform planning
- Understanding of web analytics/data analysis
- Confident producing written content – short and long form
- Basic graphic asset editing/creation
- Are an enthusiastic self-starter, you’re proactive and adept at identifying and following-up opportunities
- Are well-connected, friendly, outgoing and brand-driven
- Are a confident communicator; written, verbal and in-person
- Have an understanding of and interest in the cultural sector
- Have an interest in design
Life at Substrakt
At Substrakt we believe that work should be an enjoyable part of life and we put effort and resources into making this a reality for our team.
We have a friendly and supportive culture that enables our team to do their best work and develop their skills. We are selective about the clients we work with, so that we build rewarding relationships and work on exciting projects.
We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to grow. This includes formal training, going to industry conferences, and informal knowledge-sharing sessions.
We have a great set of benefits as standard:
- Fully flexible working patterns, agreed in advance and available from day 1, including part-time hours, condensed hours, flexible start and end times and 100% remote working. We’ll discuss this with you upfront, so you can feel comfortable knowing a role at Substrakt will give you the work life balance you want.
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and no fixed holiday dates, so you can use your leave when it suits you. Plus, your holiday will increase by a day for every two years you are part of the team.
- An additional day’s leave to take your birthday off each year.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies.
- Annual allowance of £500 to spend on books, courses, conferences and training – anything that helps you build skills to thrive in your role – and 6 days off per year for you to focus exclusively on your professional development.
- Monthly health and wellbeing allowance of £50 to spend on anything that helps you feel your healthiest and best self. This includes anything from hobbies, to the gym, to childcare, talking therapy, a donation to a cause you care about, entertainment or a nice dinner!
- Subsidised bike scheme for purchasing a push bike at a discounted price.
- Team outings to theatres, historic sites and cultural events through our network of client partners.
- Quarterly team lunches and a varied selection of optional, relaxed social events.
Please contact email@example.com with details of your experience and an outline of why you think you would be a good fit for this role.
We would also like applicants to provide a short (no more than 400 words), self-researched critique of Substrakt’s current comms/marketing activity, positioning and presence – who are we, what are we doing well and what could we do better on?
Substrakt is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
We are committed to making Substrakt an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all, read more about our commitment to inclusivity.
Deadline for applications: 29th November 2020