Vacancy: Head of Sector Engagement (Europe)
Salary: £50,000-£55,000 (depending on experience) plus benefits
Location: Flexible/remote options are available but the role-holder needs to be based in the UK and spend at least one day per fortnight in our Birmingham office.
Deadline for applications: Friday 23rd April 2021
This role is responsible for building and maintaining Substrakt’s profile and reputation in the UK and mainland Europe.
This includes networking and brand work, client and sector engagement, relationship and stakeholder management, and new business development.
Why Join Substrakt?
At Substrakt we believe that arts and culture enriches lives and brings society together. We want to ensure that amazing cultural experiences can be enjoyed as widely as possible by harnessing the power of digital technology.
Substrakt creates digital solutions for cultural organisations. The types of organisations we work with include theatres, performing arts centres, music venues, museums, galleries, and performance groups in Europe and North America.
We work with some of the most exciting and interesting cultural organisations in the world including Shakespeare’s Globe, Santa Fe Opera, Royal Court Theatre, American Repertory Theater, Canadian Museum of Nature, Malmö Live and Malmö Opera amongst many others. Read more about the work we do, and the people we work with.
We also provide consultancy services and training on analytics, digital strategy, ticketing, project management and digital community events.
By supporting organisations with their digital needs, we enable them to reach new and wider audiences so that arts and culture can be accessed and enjoyed by everyone.
The ideal candidate for this role would be excited by, and understand, the potential of digital to help cultural organisations broaden and deepen their connection with audiences.
You are passionate about and deeply engaged in the cultural sector, and understand the challenges of the sector in both the UK and northern Europe (particularly the Nordic countries) ideally through experience working in-house at a cultural organisation, or at a supplier to the sector. However if you don’t have this experience we’d be looking for you to demonstrate a good understanding of how cultural organisations operate.
You are compassionate, thoughtful, organised, proactive and enthusiastic.
The Head of Sector Engagement is responsible for growing Substrakt’s profile in their relevant ‘territory’ (e.g. North America, Europe, Australasia) by cultivating appropriate contacts in the sector, authoring relevant content and being an active, authoritative and engaged part of the discourse around digital and the cultural sector.
You will be responsible for identifying, generating and cultivating new business opportunities and leading our response to new business opportunities primarily in the UK but there are increasing opportunities in mainland Europe too.
You will also be responsible for proactively engaging with the cultural sector through formal and informal networks to ensure that we (Substrakt) understand the priorities and challenges of the sector.
This will include (this is not an exhaustive list); attending conferences and events (both virtual and in-person, when the time comes), being aware of the impact of regional and government support and involvement in the sector, being aware of – and having an opinion on – initiatives around digital in the sector, extending existing Substrakt initiatives (such as Digital Works) to respond appropriately to the specific context of the European cultural sector.
This role would report to the Managing Director and would work closely with the Executive Chair, Head of Strategy, Head of Client Services, Head of Project Delivery and other Heads of Sector Engagement (North America and Australasia).
Life at Substrakt
At Substrakt we believe that work should be an enjoyable part of life and we put effort and resources into making this a reality for our team.
We have a friendly and supportive culture that enables our team to do their best work and develop their skills, we value curiosity, compassion and respect. We are selective about the clients we work with, so that we build rewarding relationships and work on exciting projects.
We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to grow. This includes formal training, going to industry conferences, and informal knowledge-sharing sessions.
We have a great set of benefits as standard:
- Fully flexible working patterns, agreed in advance and available from day 1, including part-time hours, condensed hours, flexible start and end times and 100% remote working. We’ll discuss this with you upfront, so you can feel comfortable knowing a role at Substrakt will give you the work life balance you want.
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and no fixed holiday dates, so you can use your leave when it suits you. Plus, your holiday will increase by a day for every two years you are part of the team.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies.
- Free NHS cashback health plan – enabling employees to claim cashback on health costs such as dental treatment, scans, prescriptions and much more. Access to an employee assistance helpline, counselling, and accident cover is also included. The plan is also available for our employee’s partners and children.
- Annual profit share scheme.
- Annual allowance of £500 to spend on books, courses, conferences and training – anything that helps you build skills to thrive in your role – and 6 days off per year for you to focus exclusively on your professional development.
- Monthly health and wellbeing allowance of £50 to spend on anything that helps you feel your healthiest and best self. This includes anything from hobbies, to the gym, to childcare, talking therapy, a donation to a cause you care about, entertainment, or a nice meal out!
- Free weekly yoga classes
- Regularly bringing the team together for outings to theatres, historic sites and cultural events through our network of client partners.
- Quarterly team lunches and a varied selection of optional, relaxed social events.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your experience and an outline of why you think you would be a good fit for this role.
We would also like applicants to provide a short (no more than 500 words), analysis outlining their perspective on the challenges and opportunities around digital for the cultural sector in Europe.
Substrakt is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, orientation or age. We particularly encourage applications from historically excluded, opressed and underrepresented groups.
If you would like to have a conversation about the role before applying please just get in touch.
We are committed to making Substrakt an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all, read more about our commitment to inclusivity.