Location: Remote (UK-based. The role-holder needs to be based, and have the right to work, in the UK and be able to spend at least one day per quarter in our Birmingham office.)
Working hours: Monday to Friday, (we’re happy to discuss flexible working hours, there will need to be some overlap with our clients’ office hours).
We have written this guide about what to expect if you’re thinking about applying for a job at Substrakt.
To apply: Please apply via our Workable page with details of your experience and an outline of why you think you would be a good fit for this role.
We are looking for a collaborative, inclusive, curious, smart and friendly person to join Substrakt as our new Director of Delivery.
This person will oversee the teams delivering the four main workstreams at Substrakt: projects; support; discovery, insights & analysis; and product.
This is a new, senior role in the organisation and will be responsible for ensuring high standards in the quality of the work delivered to and for clients, and the processes and systems that underpin the delivery of our products and services.
Our client work needs to be delivered on time, on budget, and to meet or exceed our client’s expectations, this role will be accountable for creating and maintaining the environment for that to happen effectively.
This role will also have an important coaching focus, ensuring that we maximise and sustain our culture of curiosity and ongoing learning.
We are looking for someone who is commercially minded, who has held a similar role in an agency or in a comparable working environment, and who has experience leading multidisciplinary teams and complex digital projects.
- Ensuring our client work is delivered on time and within budget.
- Optimising and managing the processes that underpin Substrakt’s delivery function.
- Working with our team to set and maintain standards to ensure that clients are receiving an exceptional level of service delivery and quality of work.
- Ensuring that resources are organised, scheduled, and aligned to deliver on our and our clients’ priorities.
- Ensuring the delivery teams are working in an efficient and effective manner.
- Creating and maintaining a supportive, curious, high-performing culture within the delivery teams at Substrakt.
- Ensuring our teams are fully aware of broader trends which could or should inform their work
- Line management responsibility for the people leading each of our workstreams (projects; support; discovery, insights & analysis; and product), and scheduling the team.
- Work closely with colleagues to feed into conversations around utilisation, capacity management, and forecasting.
- Work closely with colleagues to identify and realise new business opportunities both within the current clientbase and with new clients.
- Ensure our team is fully aware of broader trends which will (or should) impact their work and thinking.
- Represent Substrakt by speaking at and attending relevant conferences and events.
Knowledge, experience and skills that make you great for this role are:
- 10+ years working in a delivery-focused role at an agency, or a similar working environment that involves balancing competing priorities and working with clients
- Have worked in a startup or scaleup environment
- Implemented and optimised delivery processes
- Managed large, multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills; knowing how to be firm but fair, and having empathy in challenging situations
- Comfortable working with different project management methodologies (e.g. Agile, waterfall) depending on the nature of the project
- An understanding of technologies used by cultural organisations (ticketing, fundraising, ecommerce, CRM, etc), specifically systems such as Tessitura or Spektrix, would be beneficial, but is not essential.
- A calm, experienced leader
- A clear and confident decision-maker
- Able to prioritise logically and efficiently
- Collaborative and collegiate
- Comfortable with conversations around finances and contracting
- Good at spotting and fixing the smaller issues before they develop into bigger problems
- Open and happy to change your mind when the information/data/situation changes, and does so clearly and decisively
- Happy to engage with the detail whilst never losing sight of the big picture
- A great communicator - written and verbal
- Someone who loves coaching people to reach their potential
- ‘A finisher’ - excels at and is motivated by getting things done
- Commercial minded, with a focus on efficiency
Why Join Substrakt?
At Substrakt we believe that arts and culture enriches lives and brings society together. We want to ensure that amazing cultural experiences can be enjoyed as widely as possible by harnessing the power of digital technology.
Substrakt was founded in 2006 and creates digital solutions for cultural organisations. The types of organisations we work with include theatres, performing arts centres, music venues, museums, galleries, and performance groups in Europe and North America.
We work with some of the most exciting and interesting cultural organisations in the world including the National Theatre, Shakespeare’s Globe, Santa Fe Opera, Royal Court Theatre, American Repertory Theater, Bridge Theatre, Malmö Live and Malmö Opera amongst many others. Read more about the work we do, and the people we work with.
We also provide consultancy services and training on analytics, digital strategy, ticketing, project management and digital community events.
By supporting organisations with their digital needs, we enable them to reach new and wider audiences so that arts and culture can be accessed and enjoyed by everyone.
Life at Substrakt
At Substrakt we believe that work should be an enjoyable part of life and we put effort and resources into making this a reality for our team.
We have a friendly and supportive culture that enables our team to do their best work and develop their skills, we value curiosity, compassion and respect. We are selective about the clients we work with, so that we build rewarding relationships and work on exciting projects. When we say that we work with people we like, on projects we love we really mean it.
We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to grow. This includes formal training, going to industry conferences, and regular informal knowledge-sharing sessions such as our weekly demo and drink, and monthly Substrakt Sessions.
We have a great set of benefits as standard:
- Fully flexible working patterns, agreed in advance and available from day 1, including part-time hours, condensed hours, flexible start and end times and 100% remote working. We’ll discuss this with you upfront, so you can feel comfortable knowing a role at Substrakt will give you the work life balance you want.
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and no fixed holiday dates, so you can use your leave when it suits you. Plus, your holiday will increase by a day for every two years you are part of the team.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies.
- Free NHS cashback health plan – enabling employees to claim cashback on health costs such as dental treatment, scans, prescriptions and much more. Access to an employee assistance helpline, counselling, and accident cover is also included. The plan is also available for our employee’s partners and children.
- Annual profit share scheme.
- Annual allowance of £500 to spend on books, courses, conferences and training – anything that helps you build skills to thrive in your role – and 6 days off per year for you to focus exclusively on your professional development.
- Monthly health and wellbeing allowance of £50 to spend on anything that helps you feel your healthiest and best self. This includes anything from hobbies, to the gym, to childcare, talking therapy, a donation to a cause you care about, entertainment, or a nice meal out!
- Free weekly yoga classes
- Regularly bringing the team together for outings to theatres, galleries, historic sites and cultural events through our network of client partners.
Please apply via our Workable page with details of your experience and an outline of why you think you would be a good fit for this role.
Substrakt is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their ethnicity, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age, read more about our Equity, Diversity and Inclusion vision.