Salary: £30,000 – £40,000 (depending on skills and experience) + benefits
Location: Flexible (ideally you will be able to spend some time (at least a day) each week in our Birmingham or London office – although currently we are 100% remote)
Working hours: Monday to Friday, (we’re happy to discuss flexible working hours)
Reporting to: Head of Project Delivery
Deadline for applications: Monday 25th January
Interviews will be held remotely via Zoom
We are looking for a friendly, diligent and knowledgeable developer to join our team. You will be working across our portfolio of work, building new websites and products, and maintaining live sites.
Why Join Substrakt?
At Substrakt we believe that arts and culture enriches lives and brings society together. We want to ensure that amazing cultural experiences can be enjoyed as widely as possible by harnessing the power of digital technology.
Substrakt creates websites and web applications for cultural organisations. The types of organisations we work with include theatres, performing arts centres, music venues, museums, galleries, and performance groups in Europe and North America.
We work with some of the most exciting and interesting cultural organisations in the world including Shakespeare’s Globe, Santa Fe Opera, Royal Court Theatre, Bridge Theatre, and Royal Academy of Arts amongst many others. Read more about the work we do, and the people we work with.
We also provide consultancy services and training on analytics, digital strategy, ticketing, project management and digital community events.
By supporting organizations with their digital needs, we enable them to reach new and wider audiences so that arts and culture can be accessed and enjoyed by everyone.
You’ll be tasked with building, maintaining and supporting our work, the majority of which are WordPress-backed websites. Integrating these websites with third party APIs, and ensuring they are as performant as possible.
We are developing an increasing number of customer-facing products and services, recent examples include Quick Donate and [showcase]. Which are built using PHP and Django (Wagtail CMS) respectively, and integrate with Stripe for transactions.
We have also developed a number of internal products that are core to most projects we work on. You’ll be using those to ensure clients can manage both their content, and their events. You’ll also be helping to develop these existing products and new libraries/products as required.
You will be responsible for:
- Building and maintaining websites.
- Supporting and developing our suite of client-facing products.
- Supporting and developing our suite of internal products.
The tools and technologies we use are
- PHP (WordPress, Laravel).
- Python (Django, Wagtail, Flask).
- Git for version control and GitLab as our repository manager.
- MySQL, Aurora, Redis.
- Amazon Web Services (RDS, S3, and CloudFront).
If you have experience using most of these tools and technologies, or others tools and technologies that are similar (i.e. they are based on the same concepts or structures), then we want to hear from you.
Knowledge, experience and skills that make you great for this role are:
- Ability to work well in a small team environment.
- Great formal and informal communication skills.
- Understanding of how to deliver for and work well with clients.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time.
- Conscientious attitude – you take pride in doing good work.
- Relevant technical skills from the list above.
- Are an enthusiastic self-starter, you’re good at identifying and following-up opportunities.
- Can think ahead and balance technical debt and impact.
- Enjoy interacting with clients and colleagues to ensure we are always delivering the best, most appropriate solutions.
- Are passionate about web development, and sharing your knowledge and ideas.
- Have an interest in the work of arts and cultural organisations and the needs of their users.
- Rarely get stuck in rabbit holes, and know when to ask for help.
Life at Substrakt
At Substrakt we believe that work should be an enjoyable part of life and we put effort and resources into making this a reality for our team.
We have a friendly and supportive culture that enables our team to do their best work and develop their skills. We are selective about the clients we work with, so that we build rewarding relationships and work on exciting projects.
We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to grow. This includes formal training, going to industry conferences, and informal knowledge-sharing sessions.
We have a great set of benefits as standard:
- Fully flexible working patterns, agreed in advance and available from day 1, including part-time hours, condensed hours, flexible start and end times and 100% remote working. We’ll discuss this with you upfront, so you can feel comfortable knowing a role at Substrakt will give you the work life balance you want.
- 25 days annual leave (plus public holidays) and no fixed holiday dates, so you can use your leave when it suits you. Plus, your holiday will increase by a day for every two years you are part of the team.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies.
- Annual allowance of £500 to spend on books, courses, conferences and training – anything that helps you build skills to thrive in your role – and 6 days off per year for you to focus exclusively on your professional development.
- Monthly health and wellbeing allowance of £50 to spend on anything that helps you feel your healthiest and best self. This includes anything from hobbies, to the gym, to childcare, talking therapy, a donation to a cause you care about, entertainment or a nice dinner!
- Subsidised bike scheme for purchasing a bicycle at a discounted price.
- Team outings to theatres, historic sites and cultural events through our network of client partners.
- Quarterly team lunches and a varied selection of optional, relaxed social events.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your experience and an outline of why you think you would be a good fit for this role. Please include a link to some code that you’re proud of. You can send us a link for a public repo, or contact us and we can organise looking at a private repo. We promise we won’t share.
Substrakt is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
We are committed to making Substrakt an inclusive and welcoming workplace for all, read more about our commitment to inclusivity on our website.
Deadline for applications: Monday 25th January 2021