Fancy working with Substrakt?
We are looking for talented graduates or juniors to join our 4-month paid internship scheme.
Substrakt is a digital agency with studios in Birmingham and London. We make websites and interactive applications for museums, galleries, theatres, arts centres and other visitor attractions in Europe and North America.
Our clients include Birmingham Hippodrome, Royal Court Theatre, Canadian Museum of Nature, English National Opera, Waddesdon Manor, Nottingham Theatre Royal & Concert Hall and The Bridge Theatre among others.
At Substrakt we aim to foster an ambitious, supportive and collaborative working environment. We don’t believe in unnecessary hierarchies and distractions, our focus is on enabling the delivery of the best quality work possible.
As well as sending staff to conferences and industry events, everyone has a book allowance and a Code School account. We also encourage the team to take one afternoon a week to pursue personal and internal projects.
We are seeking applicants who would like to specialise in either of the following two areas, to join our 4-month paid internship scheme.
- Back-end web development
- User experience / interface design and front-end web development
You will be involved in the development of our suite of web products, new client web projects and will also work on the maintenance and development of existing projects.
The placements will run from September to December 2017 and will be at our Birmingham studio.
Full-time job offers will be made at the end of the scheme to the most promising candidates.
- A strong interest in writing clean, efficient, performant code
- A demonstrable interest in web technologies
- An interest in arts and culture (preferred but not essential)
You will gain:
- Experience working on live projects in a busy, agency environment
- 1-on-1 support and training from the Substrakt team
- The chance to develop your skills in your chosen area of specialism
- We specialise in considered, user-centred design
- We use inuit.css as a OOCSS framework based on the inverted triangle architecture. (more info)
- We write clean self-documenting HTML with BEM(IT) class naming conventions (more info)
- We use WordPress, Amazon Web Services, Heroku, Digital Ocean
- We practise Test Driven Development and use Git to version control our software, using GitLab as our repository manager.
- We work in an agile fashion on most projects, and have daily standups.
Please get in touch with Andy by Monday 17th July with an email to email@example.com including a brief overview of why you would be a suitable candidate. Please include links to any work; website designs and examples of code you’ve written.